Sunday 25 March 2018

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman | Book Review



Hey guys,

My first book review is finally here! As you can probably tell, I am very excited, as I have wanted to start reviewing books over here on Love, Ellena Grace for a while now, but just didn't know where to start! f you follow me on Instagram, then you will know that I have been reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, and I thought it the perfect book to kick off my book reviews with! I will try not to give too much away (as this book has a lot of unexpected twists!), but will give a general overview of what happens.

When I first started this book, I genuinely had no clue as to what it was about. I had heard many a great thing, but had never explicitly heard anything about the plot. The blurb doesn't really give much away, which I quite liked, as it gave the book a bit more mystery. Due to this, it could be perceived as being a bit slow to begin with, as you are thrown in with not much of an idea about the characters or the plotline. However, this book really was not what I was expecting.

Eleanor Oliphant, the protagonist, is a woman who has a lack of social skills, and speaks as she thinks, which results in a lot of hilarious parts of the novel. It begins with her daily routine of work and going home, and how her life has never really changed in the past ten years. However, one day she meets Raymond, someone who she openly does not warm to immediately, but as the book goes on, we see an unexpected friendship develop. It's incredibly heartwarming to see Eleanor and Raymond's friendship develop as it does, especially when you find out more about Eleanor's past. It shows how even small things can affect someone, whether it be good or bad, and how we should not take those small gestures of kindness for granted.


The novel includes topics that are quite harrowing to read about, and shows how much childhood can affect you in later life. I think it is written very well though, considering how the issues raised have to be written in a very sensitive way. Also, I like that fact that it is from Eleanor's point of view, as it adds a more innocent style to the narrative, and doesn't give too much away too early in the book.

It made me laugh, it made me cry (I never cry at films, but have been known to cry at books, which is odd, does anyone else do this?), and was incredibly moving. The book is written in a somewhat light-hearted manner for the topics that are mentioned, which I also assume is so that not much is given away. The book often has twists that you would not have expected, and is most definitely a page turner. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and definitely would recommend giving it a read. I can also confirm that Eleanor Oliphant is NOT completely fine.

I would rate this book a 4.5*.

I hope you enjoyed reading my very first book review, and I will definitely be writing more of these! Let me know what books you have been loving recently down in the comments, I'd love some recommendations!

Much love amigos,

Grace




20 comments :

  1. I've been thinking of getting this book and adding it to my to read list; it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely book review, Grace. Don't worry, you're not the only one who cries for books and not so much for movies. I'm guilty of that too! I'm reading the Selection Series by Kiera Cass and the feels are real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really want to read this book and now I'm even more excited to do so. Great post thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read a book in so long, but perhaps this is where I can start? Thanks for the great post! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. the more reviews I read of the book the more I want to read it! A really good first book review you should 100% write more! x
    https://sharnahsblog.wordpress.com/ x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh I’m so glad I stumbled across this post! I was considering buying that book in Sainsbury’s the other day and you’ve completely sold me, I’ll definitely be going back to pick it up! I look forward to reading some more book reviews from you!
    PaleGirlRambling xo
    http://palegirlrambling.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve seen so many people talk about this book, but like you I never knew anything about the plot lol you’ve definitely got me interested though! Think I might have to pick it up if I can find it 😊 don’t worry I cry my eyes out at books but not films too 😂 I’d definitely give As Old As Time: A Twisted Tale a read, I absolutely love it!! 🙌🏼 I did a review at http://jademarie.co.uk/twisted-tale-book-review/ if you’re interested ☺️ Xx

    Jade | jademarie.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often laugh and cry at books too, but also while watching films ^^ this books seems like the kind of books I love to read, will check it out when I've finished the current books I'm reading :)

    Perrine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen so many people raving about how good this book is and it’s firmly on my want to read list! I really enjoyed your review as it gives a general overview and feel for what the book is about without giving too much away - nothing worse than spoilers!

    Melanie | www.frasersfunhouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting for you! It looks like a good read. I will have to keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard so much about this book! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll see if I can pick it up the next time I'm in Waterstone's. :D x

    Sneha | lifewithsneha.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a good read, I'll have to pick it up. I've been in a reading slump lately and have been looking for a book to pick me up and this one sounds perfect. I love contemporaries, especially ones where the protagonist is kind of quirky and awkward (and it sounds like she would be at times).

    Megan xx Insidemegansmind.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved reading your review, I've heard so many good things about this one so I'll definitely have to add it to my reading list!

    Kate | http://www.katelovesx.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have recently finished this book and absolutely loved it, I really couldn't put it down! Your review sums it up perfectly x

    https://sophiesthoughts3.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great review. I loved this book but it took me a little while to get into as like yourself at the beginning I didn't have a clue at what was going on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this and for sure putting this book on my to-read list! I'm currently reading 'Emma' and it's just such a classic. I'm hoping to do some book reviews myself once I get into the swing of things!

    Phoebe x

    https://itsphoeberose.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I may have to add this book to my reading list. I'm just about to start How To Stop Time by Matt Haig and I'm really looking forward to it.

    Louisa | Loubee Lou Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was a great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, I read it recently and absolutely loved it!

    Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was such a lovely review. You've made me want to read it without giving too much away. And yep, I've never cried at a movie, ever, but I have over a couple of books. I love reading a book and not having a clue what it's going to be about. It rarely happens these days when information online is so public x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. I heard a lot of wonderful reviews on this and that includes yours. Fab review! And btw, I love your blog!😍 It's gorgeous.💟

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished